Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Glass blowing series #7

Into the Fire
12 x 16 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
by Miki Willa
In this latest painting in the series, I wanted to depict a partially worked glass piece on the way back into the glory hole. Glass artists keep the glass moving once the piece is begun. It is important to do this to maintain the shape. An object will make many trips back to the glory hole before it is finished. The intensity of the heat will change this piece to a brilliant orange before it comes out again, to be worked and shaped more by the artist. It is fascinating to watch the colors change with the temperature. This glory hole is in Viscosity Glass Studio in South Seattle. This studio features corrugated metal walls to separate the bodies of the furnaces from the studio space. It was fun to represent them here, the way they catch the light from the glory hole and reflect on the steel table top.
We visited another studio last weekend and took some great reference photos. I am looking forward to working on more paintings in this series. I am so glad I keep finding new and interesting material from which to work.

8 comments:

Willa said...

I love the geometry in this paintitng. The colors also seem to fit with the geometry, whatever that means...

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Fantastic painting! I am impressed with the way you have made the fire look so hot!

Anonymous said...

Hi! It is difficult to make comments when I can't do so and look at the painting at the same time. So....this is from memory, a memory that has seen better days! I love your sense of design...very strong design elements done in a visually appealing way...the horizontal balanced by vertical...everything kept on the page and use of near complementaries. I like your design based paintings very much and have been looking through your blog. I have found a definite propensity for both geometric design and also, more of the opposite, more organic design. I think abstract work may be in your future. You loosen up and don't paint all the details the more you get moving towards abstraction in your work. Just my humble opinion...
fellow pastelist,
linda b

Megha Chhatbar said...

This is wonderful..The fire is really glowing..I love the color schemes..Well done..:) Keep in Touch dear!

Megha
Art on Sketchbook

Cyrielle said...

I love the intensity of the colors! I really think this serie is a success.

Tom Willa said...

Intensity of color, this painting has different overall hue. Capturing the impression of the funace's heat is such a challenging task which you accomplished dramatically. Great job, abstract realism

Miki Willa said...

Thank you, everyone, for your encouraging comments.
Willa - I do love the geometry in the glass studios.
Leslie and Megha - Depicting the heat of the fire has been a challenge, but I am enjoying it.
Linda B. - I feel that abstraction coming on. I never thought it would happen to me.
Cyrielle and Tom - Thank you for your support on this series.

Rodrica said...

What an interesting series this is. I especially love the "technical" ones showing the equipment. Very successful.