Thursday, September 17, 2009

Adding Collage to this page

When It's Cherry Blossom Time
mixed media paper
by Miki Willa
I started a blog just for my collages, but decided to put them over here from now on. I seem to be doing more collage right now, when I get time in the studio.
This one was inspired by a picture from an old calendar. I went through my collection of old photos, hand made paper, scraps from the backs of boxes, decorated paper, and some stickers. I have been working with more abstract, torn shapes up to this one. I thought I would try geometric shapes for a while and see where that takes me. I am really new at this medium, so want to experiment with many styles before I decide on a direction. So far, I like the softer edges of the torn shapes. However, I do like the way the softness of the cherry blossom theme interacts with the straight lines of the geometric shapes in this one. The Saurus Cranes in the upper right are just because I like them, and I wanted to create a triangle of focal images.
I would love to learn more about the mechanics of collage. What kind of finish should I use? Is it okay to use dry mounting like a fusible webbing used with fabrics? Are there any adhesives I should stay away from? If you care to share any of these secrets with me, I would love to hear from you.

4 comments:

Margaret Ryall said...

When I adhere papers or ephemera in a mixed media work I use liquid matt medium if the paper is thin and gel medium if the paper is heavier. I then use Liquitex gloss medium and varnish as an isolation coat and then Golden water based varnish as a final coat. Hope this helps your foray into collage.

Jo Castillo said...

This is beautiful and looks like you are having fun.

Elena said...

Ooooh I just love Geishas ever since reading Memoirs of a Geisha. This piece is so peaceful and pretty. I'm just starting Laura's collage class so I can't give you any tips yet. I know so far we coat the papers with Golden Polymer gloss and it seems we'll be arranging these on watercolor paper and then fusing them with tack iron.

april said...

I use the same method as Margaret mostly. I love to do the polymer method too, but do use the matte medium mostly with my class. I do like the varnish finish on some pieces too. Mostly with the polymer method - it's Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Satin). it's a nice soft look.