Saturday, February 6, 2010

Artistic Freedom Manifesto

As promised, I am finally getting around to posting my Artistic Freedom Manifesto beginnings. During the fall, I was working with Leslie Miller as my life coach. For more about Leslie and life coaching, visit her coaching blog here. I was struggling with breaking away from some old studio habits and exploring a way to nurture a new artistic freedom for myself. We came up with several ideas to try, which were very powerful for me. In December, I was entering a wonderful new place creatively, and I wanted to continue to nurture the growth I had been experiencing, and the rekindled passion for creating. Leslie and I came up with the idea of putting together something that I could turn to when I felt that feeling flagging. I wasn't sure what it would look like at first, but let the idea germinate until I found the right format.
Several ideas came to mind, and I played with each of them in turn. At first, I thought I would create a set of tags with inspirational quotes on the back and art on the front. This was okay, but it didn't quite spark for me. Then I started reading back issues of ArtsyFartsy News by Robert Burridge. He wrote about beginning each studio visit with small practice pieces. I was intrigued by the idea, and it came back to me when I started creating the manifesto. Then I saw some cute ideas people made with playing cards at the local scrapbooking store. That is when it all came together. I would create a deck of cards with different ideas, techniques, and styles that could be used to inspire me when my muse was off drinking tea. I started by making a list of things I already enjoyed and adding things I wanted to learn more about, and good practices. The six cards at the top are the first ones on the list. From top left, clockwise, they are Create freely; Focus on images; Zentangles; Speed Collage*; Asian influence; and Cruciform layout.
*Speed collage was one of the things Leslie and I designed as a way of creating very freely, without planning, and just experiencing the joy of creating. I created ten collages in two hours. It was very freeing and I wanted to make sure it was in my manifesto.
These small pieces are created on playing cards and are wonderful fun to make. I try to make one or two every time I am in the studio. For me, this is working. When I am done, I will have a wonderful reference of all the work I really enjoy doing. It will nurture me in times of creative doubt. It is not a manifesto in the true sense of the word, but it is for me.

10 comments:

Margaret Ryall said...

What a great idea Miki. I could see speed collage being a lot of fun. When I'm stuck during whatever series I'm developing. I always do collage to give myself a break and free my mind. It always works for me and I get great little pieces I often give as gifts. I look forward to seeing more of your playing cards.

I forgot to tell you before how much I love your picture on your banner.

Uta said...

Wow wow wow. I check on your blog to see if you have posted and what do I find??? Some amazing inspiring work. I just can't believe your growth. I love the manifesto. Its such a fantastic idea!!!!! Ok off for another look hehehe

Willa said...

Very exciting!!

Elena said...

Oh Miki, I love love love this! What a wonderful idea. Esp. for someone like me struggling to just 'begin'. I wondered what to do w/ all the stacks of playing cards I have. Thank you so much...I am going to try this. Oh HUGS!!! Also have to say there has been so much growth in your creativity this year. Good things!

Elena said...

Oooh I also forgot to say I love your banner. Very nice!

sukipoet said...

Interesting idea to make this set of cards. Love the images. Must look up the word "manifesto."

Leslie Avon Miller said...

My eye was immediately drawn to these Miki. These seem like fun!

Elena said...

I just had to thank you for your wonderful comments about my photos. You are inspiring in your words and your work. Happy Valentine's Day dearest Miki.

Casey Klahn said...

Looking forward to seeing your manifesto, Miki. Something we should all attend to, and bully for you that you are on it.

april said...

Wonderful, Miki! These are great and look at that zentangle!!