Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Commissioned Painting - Mt. Rainier

Royal Peak
8 x 10 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
by Miki Willa
This is my first commissioned painting in a long time. The patron wanted mountain and purple. The mountain I see most from my neighborhood is Mt. Rainier. It has many moods and vistas. This is from the north, slightly east. I wanted to make sure little Mt. Tahoma showed its peak as well. I do love working with purple and I enjoy the challenge of mountain peaks. For all you mountain climbers out there, this is my interpretation from a long distance away. It is not meant to be a climbers guide.
I can now say I have sold two paintings in the great northwest. My studio is ready for more creativity. I am working on preparing myself for more creative time. Just working through some of the nay-saying inner voices. One of my goals is to be more active on the blog again. It may take on a different tone, but it will be a place I will continue to share my creations and my creative process.
Enjoy the beautiful fall.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

More geometrics in complementry colors

The Nest
10 x 8 mixed collage with image transfer and stamp
by Miki Willa
I actually created this one before the last one I posted. I was playing around with colors and patterns. I like the colors. I like the stripes in the paper, in the stamped text, and the ones I created. I think they are nicely offset by the curved lines of the on the blue paper and in the nest. The biggest problem I have is with the nest itself.
I have been really working to create a successful image transfer. I have tried just about every method I have read about in books and on the web. The one I did on the last collage was with an image printed on a transparency. Then I put a layer of Golden matt medium on the paper, put the transparency rough side down on the medium, and rubbed with my thumb for a short time. When I pulled back the transparency sheet, the image stayed on the paper without any tearing or pulling. That was the first time that worked. On this collage, done earlier, I tried the same thing, but when I pulled up the transparency sheet, bits of the paper came up as well, leaving gaps and tears. I think I rubbed too long. Clearly, I have a long way to go learning this process.
I have tried the method of using several layers of medium on a copy, letting each layer dry before applying the next. Then I used water to remove the paper backing. These have not worked for me at all. I must not have used the right medium. People who have written about this method have not specified the medium - brand and all. I have also tried using the method of putting a layer of medium on the surface and applying the image face down, letting it dry, and using water to remove the paper backing. This was moderately successful, but it still needs practice. I will keep at this because I really like the outcome when it is successful.
One of the wonderful things about collage is the vast variety of creative forms than may be used to create a finished work of art. I have been so limiting on my self by sticking with one medium for so long. This is really freeing.