Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New Pastels

Yesterday, Tom and I drove up to Mt. Vernon to visit Dakota Art Pastels. We are trying to get everything we need for the upcoming Arizona trip. We needed paper and I was running out of my favorite Terry Ludwig darks. While we were there, I took a look at the new gray set by Terry and fell in love, so that got put in the pile. This morning, I decided to clean out and reorganize my palette. It looks so pretty, I just had to share it with you. The box on the upper left is the new Terry set and the one on the upper right is my set of Unison lights. I realized last summer, when taking a class from Richard McKinley, that I really didn't have very many good lights. Now, I feel ready to tackle the colors of the Southwest.

Visiting Dakota was great fun. I could have ordered on line, but we really wanted to experience the store. I got to look at all the colors I could want before I had to buy them. We could see the true colors of the Art Spectrum paper without having to rely on the computer screen. While we were living in Hawaii, we didn't have much choice but to order online. I enjoyed my shopping much more yesterday.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Ahhhh, this looks wonderful. I organized my pastels in a similar way a while back and found I didn't have enough lights either. I was using color instead of value and paintings lack pop when you do that. Have fun with your new pastels in Arizona. I still want to do a workshop with Michael. One of these days....... Maybe back in Nova Scotia...

Tom Willa said...

shopping who doesn't llove even if it isn't for shoes..great pallette, I think the Terry Ludwig's greys will be a great for creative notions set in motion

Willa said...

I am intrigued by possibilities. As a pastel artist you need to find the pastels. As a quilter, I need to find fabrics. Somehow I have been thinking it's easier to make colors, but reading your posting, I realize you have severe limitations too.