Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Painting from memory

The Sound WIP
9 x 12 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
Years ago I took a watercolor workshop on Whidbey Island in Washington. The instructor showed us how to paint beaches and islands like those in Puget Sound without using reference photos, or without painting in plein air. I was thinking about those paintings over the weekend and wondering if I could recreate the idea using pastels. I usually have something I am painting from, so this was a challenge. I am calling this a work in progress because I am still not completely happy with the overall look. I think the pier and house need work. I want to work on the shape of the land mass on the right. I think I would like a more sheer drop at the headland. I also want to work on the distant islands. I think this has potential. I just have to work on it.

No comments: