Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jefferson Memorial at Night

Jefferson Memorial at night
9 x 12 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
by Miki Willa based on a photograph by Karin Jurick
This is my most recent painting for Different Strokes from Different Folks.
I have not done a night scene before and found getting the value of the sky right a bit tricky. I know and love this spot, so I could see it in my mind at all times of day and night. This helped. There is quite a bit of street lighting and lights from the monument, as well as reflected light from the tidal basin. This usually keeps the lower atmosphere lighter than the vault overhead. It is also very difficult to see stars there, because of all this light.
When I lived in Northern Virginia, I really enjoyed this memorial more than almost all the rest. It is built on a grand scale with a very large statue of Thomas Jefferson in the center. It is right on the edge of the Tidal Basin and the walkway is lined in Japanese Cherry trees. In early spring, the trees are all in bloom, making it a photographers paradise. I have many wonderful memories of my time spent in and around this memorial.
If you want to learn more about the Jefferson Memorial, please go here.

6 comments:

dominique eichi said...

You showed us it's majesty , it is Beautiful.

Tom Willa said...

Jefferson the statesman was a force while many are troubled by his personal life anyway so was he..I agree that your painting has captured the majestic beauty of the monument. The warmth of the lighting at night is truly unique to the Memorial you have captured it

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Wonderful painting, thanks for sharing your personal story about the place.

Jo Castillo said...

You did a great job on this painting. It is so beautiful to visit. Thanks for sharing.

Honor Bradley said...

I love the inclusion of the Tidal Basin. It adds greatly to the Monument especially at night. Your rendition is lovely. Honor

r garriott said...

I like how you cropped the dome out and yet it still reads as the Jeff Mem. The dome was tricky for many people (including me). Wish I'd thought of cropping it out, too!