Saturday, January 3, 2009

My first portrait in pastel

Portrait for Different Strokes from Different Folks
8 x 10 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
by Miki Willa

Portraits are very difficult for me to even contemplate, so I just haven't done one in color before. I have sketched likenesses of family members. I have even sketched myself. I don't know why I decided to join this year end challenge at Different Strokes, but I did, and I am really glad I did. I think it is important to get outside my narrow box, subject-wise, once in a while. My goal was to interpret the expression on the artist's face. I am happy with the results. I hope she likes it.

I have been looking at lists of favorite blogs on other artist's blogs and want to add my thoughts here. I have selected three blogs that I find very inspirational to the artist in me:


Linda Blondheim's Art Notes: In addition to really liking Linda's artistic style, I enjoy her honesty. Many of the ideas she expresses seem to answer questions I have been pondering for a while. The path she is taking is very inspirational to me. I also enjoy the recipes. Her other blog, Landscapes of the South, showcases her paintings and shares her stories about the places she paints. I really like that idea, and thoroughly enjoy the stories. Finally, I really appreciate that she responds to comments and is very encouraging.
Rose's Art Lines: Rose Welty is sharing her artistic journey in a thoughtful, thought-provoking way. She has inspired me to think about trying other artistic endeavors. She has great courage, which is an important trait for an artist, I believe. She also responds to comments regularly.
The Colorist: Casey Klahn has more than one blog, but this is my favorite. He shares information about artists he admires, ideals he aspires to, and he promotes other artists whose art inspires him. I especially enjoyed his series about artist's traits. Casey and I have very different styles, but I am learning from him about stretching my usual color boundaries once in a while. That is a good thing. He is also good about responding to comments.

There are other wonderful artist's blogs out there that I enjoy for many reasons. I keep finding new ones when I have the time. Let me know what blogs you find most inspirational.

11 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

Thank you so kindly for the comments, Miki. I see a very successful portrait, here.

Your design sense in it is wonderful, and it has unity. I just looked at Different Strokes for the first time, today, and this one holds up quite well with all of the fascinating entries there.

Linda Blondheim said...

Miki,
I'm honored to be included in your favorites. Thank you so much.
Love,
Linda

Edward Burton said...

Very nice portrait - it has a whimsical quality to it that I really like.

Willa said...

What a delightful portrait - you've learned and grown a lot!

Edward Burton said...

Hi Miki, thank you for your comment about my painting of Karin J., it is much appreciated.

Jo Castillo said...

Miki, this is great. It is fun to jump out of our boxes.

You picked two of my favorites to watch, too. They are inspiring. Rose and Linda. I don't read Casey regularly, but the info there is great.

I envy you in Arizona, still..... :)

dominique eichi said...

Love it ! it has such delight.

Brenda Boylan said...

Hey Miki,
Thanks for visiting my blog again. I'm sure we'll bump into each other someday! This is a nice portrait. Love the simplicity and color! Keep up the dusty fingers!

Carol Feldman said...

What a wonderful portrait! I was drawn to it immediately. (no pun intended!)

Unknown said...

Your first portrait in pastel? I'm impressed. Congrats

Kathleen Harrington said...

I really like your interpretation! Nice work
Kathleen