Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Painting memories


Still Life with Quilt
9”  x 12” watercolor

 In Sisters, my painting group, we are doing still lives for two weeks. I did this one last Friday. We were supposed to use items that had meaning to us. I chose the quilt background because it is one my sister made a gave to me. We bought the fabric at Uwajimia, and took classes at the In The Beginning quilting store near where I lived at the time. It brings back a good memory.

The vase in front is from Korea. It reminds me of living there when I was in my early twenties. It was a great adventure. I have also made collage pieces based on my time there.

The carved wooden statue of the fisherman is one of my treasured pieces from Japan. My mother brought me up to appreciate, and love, Asian art. She was able to visit Japan many years ago, and this was a piece from that trip.

The red vase looks like a red lacquered carved cinnabar piece. I am pretty sure it is plastic, but it looks real enough, and makes a very nice candle holder. It was a gift from a friend, from when we lived in Hawaii.

This was great fun, so I will do another one this week. I’m already auditioning pieces to be included.

This last painting was also done last week. It is based on a photo by Julie Pryne.


Richmond, England - the home of Ted Lasso
9” x 12” watercolor 


No comments: