Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Downstream

Down Stream
7 x 10 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
I really enjoyed working on this painting. I think I was able to show the areas where the sun was showing through the clouds on the trunk and the rocks on the far side of the stream. I learned quite a bit by working from a different perspective on the water. Most of the time, paintings are done with the water coming toward the viewer. Creating a sense of the water moving away from the viewer was quite a challenge. The only thing I am really not happy with is the dark "gash" on the lower root area of the tree trunk. I will have to work on that.
I have photo references looking upstream from the same bridge where I took this. Perhaps I will do a few more of this section of the stream. I smell a series in the works!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Your paintings are beautiful! You're very talented!

Tom Willa said...

I am not sure if smell is great word for works of art. The retail side of the business would like very much if you felt a series in the works. LOL.
I love the color of the water and you are right about the direction of the water, you have met the enemy(challange) and conquered(created) a beautiful painting
Gtg pizza on the stove

david mcmahon said...

Came here from Julie's Virtual Journey blog.

I can almost hear the water rushing in this painting ....

Apart from being a photographer, I paint too.

Miki Willa said...

Jessica, thank you for your wonderfully supportive comment.
Tom, I think I would consider a stream series. I just have to find more rushing streams.
David, thanks for stopping by and leaving your supportive comment.