Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Desert Series #1 - Goldfields and Poppies

Goldfields and Poppies

9 x 12 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix

Miki Willa

Goldfields are very small yellow-gold wildflowers that reflect brilliantly against the brilliant oranges of the California Poppies. There are also Lupin in several shades of purple. This scene is looking north as the North Loop Trail becomes the South Loop Trail in the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve.

When I decided to do this series, I realized that I wanted to share my impressions of all the wonderful colors as well as the terrain. In this one, I included the path, but in most I won't. The bridge in the lower center is over a wash that is dry most of the year. There is another wooden bridge I will paint later that goes over a spring fed wash. It has a completely different look.

The oranges and yellows in this painting are Terry Ludwig soft pastels. He makes the most brilliant oranges I have tried.

Tomorrow, I will be working on another look at the distant colors from a higher vantage point and a different direction.

1 comment:

Willa said...

How wonderful to see the fields again! I look forward to seeing what comes next.