Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gray Skies

The Wall
9 x 12 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
I was hoping to post the reference photo with this, but it is not where I thought it was and it will take me some time to find it. Maybe tomorrow.
This was a very high overcast day near Hilo, Hawaii. Even the greens were toned down. The only bright color was the red in the rock wall on the right. My husband thinks it is too vibrant. It is true. I pushed it. Maybe a small amount on the left wall would help. I don't know. I like the boldness of it. Sometimes I break the rules. A friend of mine said it was okay to break the rules if you had the name to do it. Why should they get all the fun?

1 comment:

Tom Willa said...

I really love this painting.
The comment concerning the red wall opens up the discussion of photographic images of paintings. The value of the red maybe perfect but viewing the picture of the paining leaves us with an digital impression of the image. I believe that the artist vision and eye and the viewers eye at the moment one looks at a painting are irreplacable.
Here is a quote that sends shivers down my spine, "Painting is dead. the good art today isn't painting. As you go into the 21st century, you see media taking over,right?"
Michael Govan, new director of the Los Angeles County Mueseum of Art, Vogue Magazine.
Save me from being one with vision is narrow.