Saturday, March 1, 2008

Streams and pastels

Crossing
8 x 12 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
It was strange painting at home today. I was using my husband's palette because I left mine at work. He doesn't have all the warm grays I am used to using. It was also strange to not have a short time limit to work. We also have a new studio space because we are getting ready to sell our house and had to move the studio out of the middle of the living area. The light in here is definitely much better than my space at work.
This is another from the photo references I took when I was on retreat. The back wall was so bright, I really had to tone it down. Because it has some yellow in it, and my camera loves yellow, it appears brighter in the photo. I also cropped it poorly. The stream does not go off the page at the corner. I intentionally let the rocks fade into the distance by reducing the details. I rather like the effect. I also like the softness of this painting. I guess this is number 2 in my Kalihi Stream series.

1 comment:

Tom Willa said...

I simply adore the palette. I do love the way the water fills the lower portion of the painting. I noticed the corner before you mention it. As I sit her looking at your painting the rocks, and stream bed could come into play avoiding the diagonal boundaries at the corner. I really love the depth of the fallen tree,shadow above the stream