Saturday, May 2, 2009

My first collage



Landscape 1 , 12 x 6 torn paper on 300lb watercolor paper

I finally overcame my fear of trying something new and created this collage. I used paper from magazines, scrapbooking background paper, paper bags that I painted, and some washi paper I had stashed. I also found one of those skeleton leaves in the garden and added that for texture and interest. I decided to do a relatively simple landscape. I wanted to keep it rather simple for a first collage.

I knew the colors I wanted to use and looked for them in my paper stash. I was missing a few, so I took a grocery bag and painted pieces with acrylics. When I paint landscapes, they are pretty realistic in style. I tend to use fairly standard sizes, so I wanted to get away from that with this piece. I think I accomplished my goal here.

I do have a number of technical questions I will have to find answers to. I am sure there must be better mediums out there for attaching everything without all the wrinkles. How do I apply the medium to the pieces of paper without them curling up on themselves, or should I strictly apply the medium to the support. I read about using a tacking iron, and that sounds cool, but the curling up thing would still be an issue. I will sort all of this out soon.

In the meantime, I have a pastel painting on my easel. It is another one in the glass blowing series. I should have it finished in a day or two. I will post it when it is ready.

8 comments:

Tom Willa said...

Wonderful collage. It looks like you used the old master palette and some electric blue. I think the skeleton leaf ads power to the creation. Intriquing creation

Laura said...

Wonderful collage landscape.
Coating papers before hand and letting them dry helps the crinkle effect stop when you ready to really glue them down in one place. I'll share more on my blog. But so happy to see you take the risk from your other works you do which are so beautiful and try the medium of collage out. Well done
~v~Laura

Laura said...

This is great to see!!
~v~Laura

M said...

Good for you! What a great start to your collage journey. Laura mentioned coating the pieces of paper first and letting them dry. That is a solution. Usually I don't worry too much about having the surface really smooth; I happen to like the wrinkles that occur at times because they add an element that you can't plan. Often I will use my fingers to smooth things out or a stiffer bristle brush.

I like your non standard size too.

Bookwoman said...

I love your collage - it is beautiful, and the colors are wonderful!

FitFoodieMegha said...

U did a gr8 experiment. I love the collage..:)

Doris said...

Had to travel over here for a look see! Good thing this cyber travel!Lovely first piece...look forward to more!

april said...

Wrinkles never bother me either. I guess they add personality. This is beautiful!