Wednesday, May 13, 2009

WIP The Gathering

The Gathering WIP
12 x 18 soft pastels on Wallis Professional White
by Miki Willa
I am having a hard time finishing this painting because I really like what it looks like right now. I like the roughness of the sketch and the contrast of the blues and yellows and oranges. It looks somewhat cartoonish, but gives an idea of what it is all about. I will finish it so it works with the rest of the paintings in the series, but I think I will go back and do some more in this style.
This is a glass furnace at Avalon Glassworks in West Seattle. Son Hugh has just picked up more glass on a bubble that will become a folded plate, or taco. This furnace is very high tech and different than the other ones we have seen. It is opened by pressing down on a pneumatic foot pedal. Very cool.
I have taken the plunge and started a new blog dedicated to my exploration of collage art and visual journaling. You can take a look here.

2 comments:

M said...

I love the band of orange in the foreground. It's funny how we are particularly attracted to small bits of a painting. For me it is always horizontal bands of some colour.

I think you should follow up on the idea of "sketch painting"- I just gave it a name. Finding the balance between the two will be your challenge. I look forward to seeing results from this exploration. You seem to be pushing out in different directions lately - good stuff.
Margaret

Tom Willa said...

I wouldn't agree about the cartoonish style, I think it gives an industrial aspect similar to a blue print that is being transformed into a architectual rendering. I feel two different energies being represented. Very complex concept a creation.