Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Plein Air and ohia tree

Ohia and Lehua
9 x 12 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
I wanted this to be a completely plein air piece, started and finshed while enjoying the morning near the volcano. I set up just outside our cottage where we had a great view of Mauna Loa on the two clear days we had. Unfortunately, this was our last morning and I lost track of time. Before I knew it, it was time to leave for the airport. I was not packed because the easel went on the bottom of the suitcase. It all worked out okay, and we were in plenty of time for the plane. However, it meant I had some work to do on this today. Mauna Loa was a big presense at the 4000 foot level, but I don't think it was really this close. I am going to have to try and move it further away. I will try this on my next painting. I was most interested in getting the tree and I am happy with that. Next, I am going to paint the area around Halema'uma'u Crater where there were the wonderful colors. Look for that tomorrow.
In the meanwhile, please keep in your thoughts and prayers all the people in Southern California fire areas, as well as fire areas around the world.

No comments: