Friday, October 19, 2007

Steps on the journey

Private Beach
8 x 10 soft pastel on Art Spectrum Colour Fix
Miki Willa
It seems that I am really focused these days on the artistic stage of this journey through life. I have always enjoyed "making pictures," but the past two or three years have been different. I have taken drawing classes, watercolor classes, and more drawing classes over the years. My mother was a good artist who never took the time to fully develop her talents until she ran out of time, and it seemed I was heading in the same direction. I recently realized I don't want that to happen. I want to work to develop the gifts God has so graciously given to me. I am very good at setting limits for myself, thus not allowing myself to see just how far I can go. This time, I am intentionally setting goals instead of limits, and working toward achieving them.
One of the goals I set in July was to paint every day. I have made time for my painting each week day early in the morning. I am still working on painting every day on the weekends. So far, I have missed very few days. My second goal was to start this blog. I have done this for two main reasons: I want to keep myself on track with the daily painting by stating in public that I will publish one per day; and I like the idea of having a forum to share what I am doing with my friends and family who are so far away.
Doing the 10 in 30 challenge paintings helped me narrow a short term goal in my painting. I will be starting a new series focusing on values instead of color, with the development of a clear focal area from the beginning of the painting. I will be posting these as I go along. It should be very interesting, if not strange.
The painting above was done in 30 minutes. It is from a photo I took on a private beach last summer when my friend Nancy and I were looking for a place to do some plein air painting. I am still determined to find out who owns this property and ask permission to set up and paint there. It is a really beautiful place.
Once again, thanks for following me on my journey.

2 comments:

Doris Joa said...

I have read that you also have worked in watercolor and that you are now using pastels. Do you not miss the watercolors? I think they are a special medium. I am too a watercolorist but also tried the oils, I enjoy now both mediums, both are so different.
This is a wonderful painting and I can't believe it is done in such a short time. Beautiful work.

Tom Willa said...

I really think that Private Beach is a great painting. I think the distant palm tree,bushes and nearby trees and shadows frame the beach superbly.