Friday, November 16, 2007

Barns and kahili

The Barn
2.5 x 3.5 soft pastels on drawing paper
Miki Willa
I decided to try one more of the miniatures. I like the concept, and am impressed by the ones I have seen, but I think it is better suited to other medium. I think it would be easier for me in watercolour or oil, even though they are not my medium of choice. As I said in the beginning, this is a learning journey and this is just another marker along the way.


On a completely different note, my kumu, Namahana, showed me how to make a small kahili. The kahili was, and is, a symbol of the Hawaiian ali'i, or royalty. It is made with feathers and a long staff. The one I made is a very small version, only 12 inches. I thought I would share it with you.


1 comment:

Bookwoman said...

Hello- I like your barn very much - it made me smile (and after a full day of parent conferences, that is no small feat.) I like the soft qualities of the work, and the whole overall effect.
(I will confess that I look at your paintings, but rarely read the commentary - ack! )