Thursday, November 1, 2007

Photorealism or Visual Impressions

Old Fishing House
9 x 12 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
A friend asked me a question about pastels today that caused me to think about how I use them. She asked me if one could get a smooth look with clean edges. I started thinking about how that was what I tried to do when I first started. I wanted to create an image that was exactly like what I saw. I think it is called photorealism. Susan Borgas has the ability to create this in her paintings. I really like her paintings for that quality. I, however, decided that I would rather try and convey the feelings about what I saw in a looser, more representational way, because that was more important to me. It took me a long time to come to that, to let go of trying to copy creation exactly.
This painting is not finished. I wasn't sure of that until I saw it on the computer. The red line of the pier does not stand out so much in the painting. I also want to push the lights a bit more. I am a sucker for old, abandoned, weathered buildings. I thank the photographer at WC who shared this for anyone to paint.
I will be away at retreat until Sunday afternoon. Look for a post then.

No comments: