Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Panting on black paper

Morning Calm
9 x 12 Soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix (black)
Miki Willa
This is another painting I did for the WC November landscape challenge. The photo seems to be of a dark, dreary morning. I thought the black paper would be perfect to capture the mood. I think it worked great for the pier, the reflections, and the boats. Unfortunately, I brightened the sky too much to keep the mood. One person suggested that I use the sky to indicate a bright morning and brighten up the boats. I will have to look at this one for a while before I decide where I want to go with it. I am happy with the bottom two thirds. This is a learning journey, after all.
The good news is that another of my paintings sold. The show has been hung, and we are hoping to sell even more.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Interesting problem. It's always such a challenge to try and metally adjust bits of a painting to see if they work better done differently!

I think the thing for me is that the water does not seem to match the sky. Not in colour terms obviously - but with regard to the light. I think if you tackled that then your boats might be fine

Miki Willa said...

You are right, of course, about the water. I am inclined to work the sky to the water, as the water has more of what I want to convey in this painting. I may take my handy sponge brush and lift some of the lightness from the sky and go from there. Thank you very much for your comments.

Mary Ann said...

Okay, non-artist person says that I love the color of the boats in contrast to the rest of the painting. I like the way it turned out!

Willa said...

I would love to see a darkened sky...