Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Color and Perspective

Yarrow
7 x 10 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
Today I decided to play with color and perspective some. I am still working on distant values. When I think the painting is finished, I step back, and discover the hill that is further away is much darker than the closer one. I think I solved that problem here. I also wanted to get a sense of distance in the water. That one is a little tougher because this was all deep water, except right near the beach of the second hill. I know deep water is darker than shallow water, so I had to work out relative values. I don't know why this is so difficult. I try and blame it on my pastels, but I am pretty sure it is me. I think I achieved what I was going for in this painting. After looking at this, I think I need some work on details. This, however, is something I need to do when I work on pieces I can take more time with. My one hour studio time in the mornings includes set up and clean up, and I still want to do at least one painting (some people refer to them as sketches) each day. One of these days, I may retire and devote much more time to my painting.

No comments: