Monday, January 14, 2008

Interesting Underpainting

The Fence Post
12 x 9 soft pastels on Wallis
Miki Willa
When I was looking for paper today, I discovered a well abused and neglected sheet of Wallis white that I didn't think was beyond saving. I looked for a reference photo that would lend itself to a very simple underpainting. I liked the reference photo from Moloka'i because of the four bands of elements. I decided to create a brilliant underpainting using deep rose at the top, black beneath that, bright red for under the green, and umber where the tall grasses went. I used turpenoid to melt the pastels and the result was quite startling. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of this stage. As I began to develop the painting, I realized that, for the first time, I was enjoying this method. I am very pleased with the results. I have discovered that if I work out the patterns of the dark values before I begin, I am usually happier with the finished painting. I wonder why I forget that?

No comments: