Monday, January 21, 2008

The Value of a Sketch

Value Skecth
Miki Willa
Feeling a bit under the weather today, I decided to stay in my cozy chair and read. I was reading about value and composition, as has become my habit lately. Everyone seems to have the right answer. Some say to follow the traditional rules. Some say to learn the traditional rules before you start breaking them. Since I am still finding my own visual voice, I think I will do a bit of both.
I found another very old photograph and started a rough sketch for a future painting. I moved the boat from the center of the plane, but I kept the two log rafts and the near beach. After discussing it with my husband, I took out the logs and the near beach. I already liked the composition better. Then, I took it into Photoshop to play with values. I took out a few more elements that distracted from the boat, but I can see I need to really work on the dark area on the beach. I don't want it to lead the viewer out of the painting. It will be shore rocks if I leave the area in. I have never done this in Photoshop before and it was quite a bit of fun. Look for the finished painting later this week.

No comments: