Sunday, January 13, 2008

Resurrecting old paintings, part 2

The Salt Marsh
11 x 19 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
The primary reason I wanted to try and resurrect this painting was because I loved the place. It is along the north west shore of Whidbey Island in Washington. I am still not happy with the painting, but I think this may be the best I can do until I start over again. I did the original as one of my first pastel paintings. I didn't know a thing about composition, aerial perspective, or working with pastels. When I found the painting a couple of weeks ago, I was amazed at how completely flat it was. The water was all the same color and value, everywhere. The houses, which I think are the weakest part of this version, were all exactly the same. The distant islands appeared much closer because of poor color choice. This summer, maybe I will be able to get back up there are do this great place justice.

No comments: