Friday, January 4, 2008

Sketching



When I was looking through old photos yesterday, I pulled out a very old, faded photo I took at a friends mountain cabin near Mt. Rainier, Washington over 30 years ago. I really enjoyed staying in this cabin with its wood burning stove and big fireplace. I decided to work up a small sketch before putting pastels to paper. The challenge was trying to see details in the photograph. I can already see some composition changes I need to make, but I think I got the basic elements in. Snow was about a foot deep that day, which I am going to have to figure out how to convey. I don't think I will get it painted today because I am still working on the poppy field painting from yesterday. Want to get that finished before I take it off the easel. Hopefully, I will get it done tomorrow.

No comments: