Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cool or warm colors?


I decided that my next challenge would be color temperature. I hear the terms warm and cool color bandied about in workshops, classes, and in books and blogs. I thought it would be important for me to have a better understanding of what they were in order to further my painting skills. After doing some research, I have discovered that artists and color theorists alike don't agree on what they are, how important knowledge about them is, or whether or not there are hard and fast rules about them.

Do warm colors come forward and cool ones recede? Can a cool yellow be cooler than a warm blue? Does greying a color make it warmer or cooler? I thought I knew some of the answers, but after reading what is out there, I am no longer sure. I am going to try it anyway. This week, I will be painting the same still life in warms colors, as I see them, and cool colors, as I see them. I will also be experimenting with mixing warms and cools for effect in landscapes. I will let you know what I learn along the way.

The photo is of the still life I will do in the warms first, then the cools.

No comments: