Saturday, December 1, 2007

What's next?

West Maui Hills 2
9 x 12 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
I have painted this scene three times, and I like this one the best. The clouds were very difficult as they really formed an X over the hills. Of course, when you paint clouds in an X formation, no one thinks they look real. I am much happier with the depth in this one, too. I as much freer about color than I usually am. This brings me to what I will do next week.
After doing a week of cloud studies, I find that I really need to do much more work on value and hue. I think I will focus on light values this week and follow up with darks the following week. I am sure the mid-tones will be very present in both, since that seems to be what I use most often. Keeping lights light is a current challenge that I would like to overcome.

No comments: