Monday, December 3, 2007

Value and Hue

White Hibiscus
7 x 10 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
There is so much to learn, and remember, about color as it applies to painting. I spent a little time doing some research today and discovered some new things, and refreshed my understanding on things I already knew. Here are just a few interesting tidbits from my journey.
Yellow is the first color the eye recognizes. This is important to remember in a painting. Using bright yellow away from the focal area can draw the eye away. Using it in a pattern that leads toward the focal area will bring the eye there. Judicious use is important because yellow is also the most fatiguing color in the spectrum. Statistics show that couples fight more in a yellow kitchen. Check this out at http://www.colormatters.com/optics.html.
Value was at the top of my research list today. As I see it, value has to do with the darkness or lightness of a hue (color). Value defines form and creates spacial illusion in paintings. If values are close, shapes will seem to flatten out and seem closely connected in space. None will stand out from the others. Value is very important in creating aerial perspective.
Tomorrow, I will look more at hue and simultaneous contrast. For more on value and hue, check out http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Hagan/color_psychology2.htm and http://pastel-pointers.pasteljournal.com/default,month,2007-08.aspx.
The painting was done without using white. My goal was to create a white flower using light value pastels that would indicate white.

No comments: