Friday, December 28, 2007

Painting in the Studio

Morning
7 x 10 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
I have to admit that I am basically an indoor person. I prefer the comforts of my studio to fighting the wind, bugs, and occasional rain of the great outdoors. I am, however, getting ready for a great outdoor adventure with my husband as we make our studio portable, and hit the road next summer to paint across America. I have done some pleine air here in the islands, and was rained out only one time. I know the light here and the colors of the water on the different sides of the islands. I also know that no one makes the right greens for this place. I am excited about discovering the way the light glints off the Puget Sound at sunset, or the limestone cliffs in the southwest in the morning. I want to go back to Glacier Park and find that great stream with the old wood bridge where I know I can set my easel for a great painting. I look forward to fields of sunflowers, old barns, snow covered peaks reflected in quiet lakes, rushing rivers, and so much more.
In the meantime, I will paint mostly in my studio, with my running water, full sets of pastels, and windows I can open and shut at will, thereby controlling the climate. Today's painting is from a very old photograph. I don't even remember where this marsh is. Perhaps I will rediscover it as Tom and I explore America.

No comments: