Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Monstera

Monstera
7 x 10 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
The real flower is larger than the painting. We have these giant leaved plants that grow around tree trunks in the forests here. They are Monstera plants. I have seen them for years, but I had never seen a blossom. A couple of months ago, when I was on the Big Island, I was getting ready to go into Big Island Candies when I spotted this flower in the parking lot. The plant was growing up a light pole and this nearly two feet high blossom was sticking off to one side. When I was looking for something to paint during my study in light values, I came across my photo. My challenge was to turn form on the center part while keeping it as light as it needed to be, without using white. The photo just barely shows it. It works better on the real painting.

No comments: