Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Still Life Fountains - Warm

Still Life Fountains - Warm
9 x 7 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa
I learned many things about myself doing this painting. The most important is that I am more of a cool color person. I think each of the colors I used is yummy as a small part of a mixed temperature piece. I had a hard time resisting the colors in my pallet I think of as cool colors. I did use some in the cast shadows, when I remembered to put them in. There was not a strong light source showing in the reference photo, so I had to select one. I noticed when I looked at the photo that I totally forgot them on the left two pots. I will fix that on the cool color painting. I also want to drive the center piece more into the background. As it is now, my eye is drawn to it as soon as it gets past the green. I decided to leave the green as it was and add some of it into one of the pots. I am not sure it really works, but I still like the green. I also need to work on making the fountains look more like water is coming down the sides from the bubbling top. That will be a real learning experience. I will have to do some research on how that can be done. tomorrow, I am going to work on the cool color painting from the same reference photo. I already know some value adjustments I am going to make so I can develop a clear focal area. I think I will also make the front right pot into a working fountain. I guess tomorrow will tell. What an interesting exercise along the journey.

No comments: