Thursday, December 13, 2007

Onomea Bay

Onomea Bay
7 x 9 soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Miki Willa


Onomea Bay is one of the most beautiful places I saw on the Big Island in October. The day we went was overcast, but the setting was wonderful. This painting is from a composite of two photographs. I have thought it finished several times today, but I just noticed something else I want to fix. The low light colored bushy tree to the right of the palms doesn't read as tree in the photo. I will have to go back to the painting and take a look. It is a strange and unique tree, much like a smoke tree I have seen in the South. I am often tempted by these lush scenes and want to get all the colors and layers in. This may be too fussy in that way. I think this scene will be one of my learning scenes that I go back to as I learn more about composition. Perhaps doing some more pleine air will help me develop a better eye. I do think, however, that the

No comments: